This recipe is from the ‘2019 Guide to Local Food for Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula’
- 1 Tbsp seeded, minced hot pepper, Thai bird, or mixed variety
- 1 clove of thinly sliced garlic
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp cider or champagne vinegar
Mix in a jar or whisk, and set aside. Mix again before adding to the salad.
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ water
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, poked through the center with a cake tester or skewer
Heat up pickling liquid until it comes to a boil. Cool to room temperature and then pour over tomatoes in a ball jar. Cover and store in the refrigerator once completely cooled and ready to use.
- 2 small green zucchini – first, cut in half width-wise, then shave thin ribbons on a mandolin.
- 2 small yellow zucchini – same prep as above
- 2-3 leaves of Thai basil
- 3-4 leaves of mint – roughly torn into smaller pieces
Top with pickled tomatoes and toasted peanuts, and dress lightly.
AUSTIN FURE, The Marq, Marquette