This recipe was originally published in the 2023 Local Food Guide.
Morning Flame Bagel Sando Recipe
Ingredients (Per Sandwich):
- 1 bagel
- 1-2 local eggs
- 1 scallion, sliced into thin discs
- 2 Tbsp grated cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp cream cheese
- Harissa mayo (½ cup mayonnaise mixed with 1 Tbsp harissa paste)
- Cooked bacon (optional)
- Toast the bagel. Smear cream cheese on one side and 1-2 Tbsp of harissa mayo on the other.
- Vigorously whisk eggs with a pinch of salt. The best scrambles are made with eggs that are intentionally beaten to within an inch of their lives.
- Make sure scallions and cheddar cheese are on hand, this goes fast!
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once (really!) hot, add a touch of olive oil or butter.
- Quickly add the whisked egg. The sign that your pan is hot enough is that it bubbles right away and the eggs start cooking immediately.
- Add scallions and cheddar cheese. Stir with a heat-resistant spatula and as the proteins coagulate, gently coax the egg into a round shape about the size of your bagel. Flip at about 30 seconds and make sure to cook it soft and take it off the heat before it overcooks. If your pan was hot, you can cook your scrambled eggs in about 1 minute.
- Place the egg on bagel, close it up, and enjoy!
Note: The best ingredients make the best sandwich!
- Use the raddest bagel you can find.
- The best local eggs come from farmers who let their chickens eat in pasture.
- A high quality aged cheddar will provide the best flavor.
This recipe was provided by Shelby Kibler of Rad Bagels in Grand Rapids.