Try this recipe for your Michigan squash and potatoes from Jermond Booze of Taste the Diaspora in Detroit.
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 oranges, zested
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 bunch of finely chopped parsley
- ½ cup crushed cashews – no salt
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees
- Peel and dice butternut squash and sweet potatoes. Dice into quarter-inch cubes.
- Toss diced sweet potatoes and squash with oil and salt. Place on a lined sheet tray and roast in a pre-warmed oven for about 15-20 minutes or until cubes are tender but not mushy.
- While the veggies are cooking add your vinegar, water, orange zest, and brown sugar to a medium pot. Bring ingredients to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook until the liquids reduce to a thin syrup. This takes around 20 minutes but can take longer.
- Once your gastrique has cooled slightly toss it with your roasted vegetables. Toss in your fine chopped parsley and cashews. Check for salt levels then ENJOY!