Summer Local Food Promotion Intern – Northwest Lower Michigan (May 29 Deadline)
Taste the Local Difference®, headquartered in Traverse City, MI, seeks a motivated, passionate Local Food Promotion Intern to become one of our team supporting locally grown and produced food in northwest Lower Michigan. TLD is reaching for a goal of having 20% of all food sold in this region be sourced from the region’s farms and food businesses by 2020.
The Summer Local Food Promotion Intern will take on our food demonstration and food event support program. Taste the Local Difference licenses retail stores and other businesses to use our local food marketing materials to help them sell more locally grown and produced food. A critical element of our strategy is to get consumers to try locally grown and produced food where they shop. The successful intern will be passionate about showcasing local food in public settings, and be able to work on their own in stores and markets across several counties.
The Local Food Promotion Intern will also be responsible for organizing Taste the Local Difference promotion and food tasting demonstrations at farmers markets, local festivals and food events. The intern will also help collect survey data on food consumption and food buying behavior. There will also be opportunities to contribute to TLD’s social media applications, blogs, web, and magazine content.
- Organizing food demonstrations for TLD farmers and food producers.
- Perform local food tasting demonstrations at area retail stores and markets.
- Provide information about TLD to consumers at farmers markets, festivals, and food events.
- Conduct local food buying survey in public settings.
- Assist with distribution of TLD marketing materials including the annual TLD Guide to Local Food and retail shelf-talkers.
- Assist with other elements of TLD marketing as time allows
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment
- Creativity and willingness to take initiative
- Strong communication, phone and writing skills
- Experience managing and analyzing data, with attention to detail
- Knowledgeable of food and farming issues
- A valid Michigan driver’s license
- Access to a vehicle
Start Date: ASAP
A minimum of 20 hours per week is required. Time commitment can be flexible as to when duties are performed.
Based upon the 20 hour per week assignment, a stipend of $750/month will be paid after each 30 day cycle. A mileage reimbursement will be paid for use of personal vehicle beyond daily commutes. The position is contractual, any taxes are the responsibility of the contractor. An IRS Form W9 will be generated.
Taste the Local Difference® is a social enterprise of the Michigan Land Use Institute. We encourage the care of the communities we represent and constantly work towards an economically sustainable and socially just food system. Applicants who demonstrate understanding and awareness of these factors will be favorably considered. The geographic focus of this internship will be in and around Traverse City, Michigan. Candidates with familiarity of the region and immediate access to local housing are preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter describing their interest along with a resume of their work and school experiences by 5:00 PM Friday May 29, 2015 to:
Taste the Local Difference
148 E. Front Street – Suite 301
Traverse City, MI 49684
You may email correspondence to [email protected]. For further information about Taste the Local Difference, please visit our website at localdifference.org.